There are many different sales techniques, some better than others. Sometimes, it can be challenging to determine which is the most suitable for your business. It is important to keep in mind the final objective of a sale before engaging in any transaction. That objective is to always provide a product and/or a service to a client in a way that is beneficial for both parties.
Nowadays, customers are mostly looking for efficiency. They have options, lots of them, immediately and effortlessly. In the immense flood of information that is the internet, it can be intimidating to start your online selling journey. As much as that’s understandable, it is an absolute necessity for any business to consider turning to the World Wide Web not only for a chance to hit big but to even survive.
After analyzing the online environment for your business, identifying your competitors and their strategies as well as making sure you have a steady stock and logistics management plan, you can start looking into which technique might be a good fit for you.
In this article, we will present you with 5 different ways to sell online and some tips on how to use them.
Creating an online-shop or e-shop is a great way for your business to gain visibility minus the costs of running a physical store. There are different solutions to create an e-shop depending on your needs. You can, in just a few minutes, have your own online store under your domain with as many listings as you which. These solutions are often highly customizable and offer a large set of very interesting functionalities.
Here are a few solutions to use to create your own e-shop:
When creating an account on eBay, there are two options: a personal account for casual selling or a business account for high quantities. For this second option, you will have to link a professional PayPal account to your eBay account to receive your money on. After that, you can have access to your own online store on the eBay platform, the same way we have explained in the previous paragraph. Depending on the subscription plan that you pick, you will have more or less engaging features to manage your business, promote your store and evaluate its performance.
Below are a few tips to help you get started on eBay:
- Pick right description: Make sure to precisely describe your product to earn customer’s trust.
- Pick the right time: Listings on eBay last for 10 days. It’s important to make sure your listing is available on the website during high traffic periods.
- Pick the right picture: A good picture will guarantee you to get more interest from customers.
- Pick the right price: There are two ways of selling on eBay. You can either set your product for auction or go for the “Buy Now” option. Even though eBay is mostly popular for the first one, your decision should mostly depend on the nature of the product you’re selling (its rarity, its popularity etc.)
Amazon is undoubtedly the number one marketplace available today. With a net income of $10.07 billion in 2018, it has known an exponential growth and has been one of the most successful companies in the world for many years straight. It has a very large customer base with 300 million open accounts, the largest in the world. That naturally offers great visibility for your brand, much higher than whatever traffic your own website could generate.
- Open an Amazon account: There are two account types on Amazon: Amazon Seller and Amazon Vendor.
- Amazon Seller allows you to sell directly your own products to customers by listing them on Seller Central.
- Amazon Vendor allows you to wholesale your inventory to Amazon on Vendor Central, which makes you a supplier for Amazon.
- Choose a product to sell: It is important to keep in mind which products are allowed on Amazon, which aren’t and which are restricted and have to be approved. Also, remember that different categories are subject to different quality requirements.
- Advertising and SEO: Amazon offers an option to sponsor your listing as to give it more visibility. You should also remember to pick wisely your listing title, to pay attention to your product’s description and to include relevant keywords.
Amazon applies a transaction fee ranging from 7% to 15% depending on the product category.
Craigslist is a classified advertisements website with sections that cover almost every possible area, from jobs and services to different items and even housing. It also offers many different discussion forums making it one of the most popular short listings websites in the world. It is also completely free to use. You can even find items to give out. That is why Craigslist is mostly, but not only, listing used goods and private services.
With its average of 80 million new ads per month, posts get buried very fast especially in the busier sections. That is why you should make sure, when using Craigslist, to refresh your post often.
Unfortunately, Craigslist is not very renowned for its safety. The fact that it’s totally free and almost not controlled at all makes it a privileged field for scammers and people with bad intentions, so be extra careful using it. You should make sure to pick a convenient delivery plan that protects both you and the customer, as well as avoid using it for selling valuable items.
A sales e-mail is destined for a company to promote their products or their services. They are sent strategically to induce the desire to buy in their recipients. In order to do that, they should focus on 4 different points:
- Engaging subject line: The first thing the recipient sees is the title of the email or the subject line. It has to catch their attention and trigger their curiosity.
- Create a need: That is, of course, Marketing 1.0.1. Your e-mail has to create the desire to buy in the recipient by creating a strong need. You can do that by including CTA buttons and by personalizing the e-mail (using the recipient’s name, etc.)
- Provide all necessary details: The body of your e-mail should contain all the necessary information for a customer. Don’t hide any costs or information, but make sure to put forward the positive aspects of your offer. Keep the e-mail short and entertaining.
- Pick the right time: Try to keep up with the relevant dates for your customers lie birthdays, anniversaries or event-themed special offers (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, etc.)
The desire to grow your business comes with the necessity to engage with your customers through the channels that are most used by them. This requires you to study closely the behaviors and tendencies of your target public. This way, you can offer them what they need through the means they are most familiar with and are most appropriate to the nature of the products or services you’re offering.
Several options are available to you if you wish to broaden your business prospects on the internet. They come with different features, more or fewer inconveniences, at different prices, and it is up to you to wisely decide how to boost your business.
You can use e-commerce giants like eBay or Amazon to be sure to have reach and visibility due to the immense daily traffic on these websites. You could also opt for creating your e-shop on a dedicated platform like Shopify, Oshop or BigCommerce and benefit from all the helpful features they have to offer. You could opt for a classified ads website like Craiglist if you want complete freedom of action and totally free experience. E-mail marketing might also be what you need in case you already have a strong customer base and the tools to analyze their behaviors.
All in all, there is an undeniable diversity in the possible growth opportunities for businesses on the internet. When we look at the latest statistics, it is safe to say that the reach you could have online is hundreds of times higher than with classical marketing campaigns, and with it a much greater income prospect. Anyone can now become a successful entrepreneur, prosperity is only a few clicks away.